Boiler Breakdown Cover: Is It Necessary?
Boiler breakdown cover, sometimes referred to as boiler insurance cover, is a popular choice for many households but, with the increasing squeeze on household finances and prices ranging from £9 to over £17 per month, is it really necessary and is there a more cost effective solution?
Many boiler breakdown insurance policies are sold to customers with the promise of “peace of mind” but when you dig deeper you may find some of the following:
- Boiler insurance cover may include numerous exclusions including a limit on the number of call outs, cover only for the first hour of labour or a limit on the total individual claim cost.
- Boilers over 15 years old won't typically be covered and those over 7 years may need an inspection before boiler breakdown cover is offered.
- Some boiler breakdown cover includes and excess (typically £50 or above) when you claim.
- Your idea of an emergency or urgent call may not be the same as that of the company you have your boiler breakdown cover with, so response times may be different from what you would expect.
- You may already have boiler insurance cover for breakdowns, leaking pipes and plumbing emergencies with your home insurance policy. Many insurance companies now offer this on certain policies.
What is the Alternative to Boiler Insurance?
So what’s the alternative? An option that is becoming increasingly popular is to just have a yearly service from a local approved tradesman who is Gas Safe or OFTEC registered . The benefits of this approach include:
- You aren't obliged to use the services of a particular company.
- You can get a more competitive price and shop around.
- You won't be paying for extras you don't use.
- You can still have an annual service to keep your boiler working safely and efficiently but at a lower price.
- You support local businesses rather than large, faceless organisations.
- You make long terms savings when compared to boiler breakdown cover.
- You can find someone to service your boiler at weekends or even evenings i.e. when it is convenient for you.
Many people who take up this option instead of boiler insurance cover save the money they would have been paying for boiler breakdown cover into a savings account as an emergency fund to use as and when it is needed.
MyBoilerService takes the worry out of finding a local tradesman by offering you the ability to compare quotes from up to 5 pre-approved Gas Safe or OFTEC approved boiler servicing engineers in your area . Once you have decided you can book a service quickly and easily online at a time convenient to you (including weekends).
Get a quote for your boiler service or boiler repair today and start saving money.